[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 31 10:01:30 EST 2008

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 09:05:31 am James Tuttle wrote:
> > Now I just need to get a couple of external drives for a rotating
> > offsite backup scheme via sneakernet (cable modem upload speed just
> > seems to slow to backup 100's of GB over the internet) and I can sleep
> > at night again.
>
> I use the off-site sneakernet approach, too.  I have a
> Truecrpyt-encrypted external drive in my desk drawer at work that I
> bring home periodically, refresh, and take back.  35 miles isn't very
> geographically diverse, but it's the best I can do.

I think 35 miles is very geographically diverse. With an earthquake, it's
doubtful one quake would destroy both buildings. It's surprising how much
less destructive an earthquake is 20 miles away from the epicenter.

As far as a hurricane, my impression is that you'd have to be pretty unlucky
to have one hurricane destroy two places 35 miles apart, although I'm pretty
sure Wilma could have done it in Florida.

I've never been in a forest fire, but my impression is that one fire doesn't
spread 35 miles.

Unless both places are on the same river, a flood won't do it.

Sure, 500 miles would be foolproof short of nuclear war, but I think 35 is
plenty.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package