[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Wed Dec 31 10:17:15 EST 2008

On Dec 31, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Alan Porter wrote:

> I vote +2 for BackupPC.  I have used it for business and at home.

Does anyone know of an open source backup solution that a) works on
Macs and b) can archive off to DVDs?

I have a lot of content that doesn't change, many media files, and I
want to back it up to DVDs. The software has to be able to span
multiple DVDs automatically, so I can just say "back up this volume"
and just spend the rest of the month swapping out disks. (grin)

I read this article:

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

and have decided on Taiyo Yuden DVD+R disks.

The main thing I need is the ability to do incremental backups. So if
I add some new video, photos or music I don't have to rip the whole
thing again.

Suggestions?

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 503 961 7746
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C