[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Wed Dec 31 16:11:00 EST 2008

Tarus Balog wrote:

> Does anyone know of an open source backup solution that a) works on
> Macs and b) can archive off to DVDs?

There are probably better ways to do this, but one option is to combine
the usage of rsnapshot (http://www.rsnapshot.org/), to make the
incremental backups, with something like bak2disc
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/bak2disc/) to split the directory or
directories created by rsnapshot into multiple CD or DVD volumes.
Perhaps you could write a wrapper script to combine the two steps into one.

I have used rsnapshot for years and it is an excellent tool for making
incremental backups.  I have not used bak2disc personally but I know of
folks who have and they say it works well.

--
Chess Griffin