[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Nick Goldwater nick at src-dst.com
Wed Dec 31 19:16:55 EST 2008

----- "Don Jerman" <djerman at pobox.com> wrote:

| On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Jeff Ellis <jeff-lists at ellises.us>
| wrote:
| >
| > Also, by my calculations, 100 GB would take close to 30 days to
| upload
| > at Time Warner's craptactular upload speed of 300 kbps:
| >

| If you figure in acquisition, failures, operating cost and the fact
| that Amazon or Jungle are on the hook for redundant storage and
| backup
| of the backup, it starts to look attractive.
|
| But you're right, sending that amount of data in the first place is
| rediculous.  I figure it'll take longer than 30 days per 100G, and I
| have about 400 to send (and my wife keeps adding more photos).  So if
| I want to get serious about offsite I need to buy a USB box.  Problem
| is the last three I bought fizzled - I'm a little "burned out" on
| burning out high-cap drives in USB enclosures.  What do y'all use
| that
| can operate 24/7 without going belly-up?

I'd like to see a torrent like distributed backup project where you could share space/bandwidth. A few requirements would include that all files would be encrypted, distributed and reasonably accessible. Also there would have to be some sort of way to not be effected by people dropping out... Maybe there is already something like this out there?

Nick