[TriLUG] hostname wrong for mailman

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Jan 15 22:13:14 EST 2009

Well yes, kinda.  The thing is, I don't need to do virtual hosts.  At least,
I don't think I do. The fqdn of the machine should be the hostname, which
should be used for both the URL host and e-mail host.

The default mm_cfg.py file reads:
> from socket import *
> try:
>     fqdn = getfqdn()
> except:
>     fqdn = 'mm_cfg_has_unknown_host_domains'
>
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = fqdn
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = fqdn
>
> # Because we've overriden the virtual hosts above add_virtualhost
> # MUST be called after they have been defined.
>
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

I can override the two lines to read:
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'myhost.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.com'
and everything works great.

But is something more seriously wrong when getfqdn() is returning the wrong thing?

Chris

Scott Lambdin wrote:
> It is not this?
>
> http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030592
>
>  Changing hostnames
>
> These changes should be made $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py. The applicable MM
> config variables are described in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py. Typically
> something like what follows, at the end of your mm_cfg.py, will do the
> trick:
>
>  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'your.mailhostname.tld'
>  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'your.webhostname.tld'
>  VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>  add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
> and some more add_virtualhost(URL_FQDN, EMAIL_FQDN) if you are using virtual
> hosts.
>
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST should be a fully qualified host name, not an actual URL,
> e.g. 'mailman.example.com' not 'http://mailman.example.com'.
>

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Christopher L Merrill <
> chris at webperformance.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get mailman setup on a new server.  On the surface, things
>> appear to be working well.  But something is screwy with the way mailman
>> is determining the hostname.
>>
>> The "hostname" command returns the right thing.  My apache and gallery2
>> installations appear to be functioning normally - generating correct URLs.
>>
>> On the /mailman/admin/ page, all links point to the right domain name.
>> But on /mailman/admin/(list)/ page, all links point to
>>   http://cpe-098-026-057-###.nc.res.rr.com/mailman/admin/(listname)<http://cpe-098-026-057-/###.nc.res.rr.com/mailman/admin/(listname)>
>>
>> Based on my google efforts, I tried running
>>   withlist -l -r fix_url Mailman -v
>> but it still seems to be finding the .rr.com name
>>
>> Any ideas where I should start troubleshooting this?  Is it an OS config
>> problem or a mailman problem?
>>
>> TIA!
>> Chris
>>

>> --

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services