[TriLUG] Linux for the home user

Jason S. Evans jason.s.evans at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:18:40 EST 2009

Hey guys,

I'm currently working for a retail store as a PC Technician and while
I'm not shy about suggesting Linux for the tech savvy users who come in
looking to build servers, I find myself hesitant to bring it up at all
for the regular user who just wants to surf, listen to music, and maybe
run Quicken.

Is there a distro or maybe a Ubuntu-derivative that is really good for
the newbie user?  What I'm thinking is a distro that has lots of
tutorials on how to use the software that won't take 8 hours of
one-on-one instruction to fall into.  Is there one like that, would you
suggest that someone try an Ubuntu live CD or some other live CD?  Just
trying to pick your collective noggins.

Finally, and I'm cringe while writing this, but are there any tentative
plans for an installfest in the near future?  If so, I would love to
advertise one to my more adventuring customers who want to try Linux on
an older machine or in a Virtualbox session.  Thanks

Jason
KI4GMX