[TriLUG] Linux for the home user

Dave Moody davethebald at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 11:51:30 EST 2009

I just started with Linux, just for personal interest, after years of corporate and personal use of windows.  I found Ubuntu to be easy to use for myself.  For someone to take this on, they simply need to accept that it is similar, but not identical.  If something is not the way they are used to, they should start with the assumption that there is an answer, they just need to find it.  Many will enjoy the search, as I do.

There are differences, but these are only a problem if the user is expecting an identical experience.

One of the other responses compared this to a driver used to cars then getting in a truck.  Excellent example.  For you, this will be as much an effort of managing expectations as the technical side.