[TriLUG] Linux for the home user

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Jan 23 16:10:23 EST 2009

You might want to look at Xandros.  They have gone to great pains to make
Linux easy to use for the former MS-Windows user -- both from the look
and feel of the desktop and "Launch" menu structure, to even the directory
structure and command names (a bit more Microsofty and less UNIXity).
Look at the paid-for commercial versions: Home Desktop Premium and Home
Desktop Professional, since they include Microsoft and others proprietary
software, drivers, codecs and libraries, but also include a license for
a Xandros-specific version of CrossOver Office that allows you to run
quite a list of MS-Windows software on Linux -- even more than regular
CrossOver Office or Wine (on which it is based).  My wife's computer has
Xandros on it and she feels quite comfortable, and runs TaxCut, Quicken,
Quickbooks, and numerous other MS-Windows titles, plus Internet Explorer
to her company website (that refuses to make it work for Firefox), along
with various financial and bill-paying websites that won't work for
Firefox.

Xandros also comes with a very good users manual, good and responsive
tech support, and built-in help for the newbie Linux user.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA