[TriLUG] permlinks or redirect management in Apache

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Mar 18 11:32:36 EDT 2009

We have an increasing number of places in our product where we launch
a browser for the user to give them information on our website, using
URLs that are hard-coded into our app.

I'd like to future-proof this linkage between our code and the website
structure - since things on the site tend to move around a bit.
So far, I've considered these options:
1) redirects in httpd.conf
    Works, but requires editing httpd.conf. I'd like to keep admins out of
    the loop, but don't really want anyone (me included) touching httpd.conf
    unless necessary. It also requires an apache restart...also something I
    would like to avoid.
2) a permanent-link product that was suggested by a co-worker (codeignite?).
    It is a bit heavy for our needs - using a database and all.

I'd guess there are many other solutions available - any suggestions?
I'd prefer something that is easy (and safe) for non-admins to manage,
but it doesn't need to be pretty.  Editing a text file on the server
is fine.  Easy of installation and efficiency would also be high on my
list.  We only have a few dozen of these links to manage, and I don't
see it climbing above 100 in the next few years.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services