[TriLUG] really OT: Re: [OT] Moving, stuff for sale/free

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Apr 7 20:12:48 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Kristopher Kane wrote:

> I don't know what kind of tax right-off you can get but
> NPR is having a fund drive and you can donate your car.

(I have a car I'm going to get rid of)

I don't know how this works. Does NPR nominate the amount of
write-off, is it the Blue Book value, the amount NPR sells
it for, or do you have to start meaningful negotiations with
the IRS 15 Apr $NEXT_YEAR.

Say my car is worth 1k$ and I'm being taxed at the 25% rate.
Are these my choices?

o I sell it, I get 1k$

o I donate it, take the write-off off the top of my income
(or somewhere), I get back $250.

o something else?

Joe