[TriLUG] OOo, PDF and Lulu

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:26:44 EDT 2009

Screw LuLu for not supporting Linux and not even documenting this.
Otherwise, LuLu is totally great. Their support folks are great and
their stream-lined process is great. A good experience overall (of
course writing tech books is a huge money/time loser - but that's not
just because its in a recession. I confirmed with friends who wrote
for Microsoft Press and for O'Reilly and others and an enormously
successful tech book is one which nets you $6000. You have to
understand the author ends up with like 50 cents on a $24 book. In
LuLu tyhe author gets more but has to pay around $150 to get going. A
very successful book on LuLu might net you $1000 over two years - I
still hope I can attain that lofty goal. Unseccessful books net you
$1-$100 if priced right - higher is better since it is a niche market.
:-)

Bet wishes,
Tim