[TriLUG] Time Warner Responds to bandwidth concerns

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Apr 13 09:36:18 EDT 2009

> Under normal conditions of massive competion, no one carrier could
> play stupid little games like turning broadband usage into "the price
> is right" where if you guess too high you pay for nothing, and if you
> guess too low you pay a huge penalty.

This sounds exactly like the long distance market in the 1990's.

I used to maintain a fairly complex spreadsheet to keep track of
international calling rates, depending on the three "normal" time
blocks ("normal", "peak", "off peak") and the special international
"calling plans", with three additional time blocks.

There were several times when I guessed wrong, only to have to pay
a huge penalty at the end of the month.

At the time, I advocated a "no bullshit" calling plan.  But instead,
they just got more complicated, with calling circles, friends and
family, special memberships, etc.

Alan

.