[TriLUG] Time Warner Responds to bandwidth concerns

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:26:47 EDT 2009

Remember the LD market "war" resulted in the breakup of AT&T. Now things
are back like they were. There is AT&T (SBC took AT&T's name). There is
Verizon and there is Embarq (Sprint until they spun off their wire line).

All this came about when the Dot Com bubble busted. The telcos built out
all this capacity and suddenly found them self with no business to pay
for it all with and of course Bernie Ebbers (curse him! says this ex
MCIer!) thought he could run a ponsi scheme of his own kind until he ran
Worldcom (MCI) into the ground and started the Telco industry collapse.

At some point I expect a "correction" to bring it all in line again
(That would be the Iron Rule of Bureaucracy (Jerry Pournell and Alexis
DeTocqueville)) . That's the network neutrality line. However at the
moment every body has there eyes on their own pocket book so I fear it
is going to be a little while longer before that "correction" takes place.

What was that quote? Something like, "Those who ignore history are
doomed to repeat it".

There! That ought to keep this thread running for a while! (World
domination Pinky!)

73,
Neil, WA4AZL