[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:13:47 EDT 2009

So to take devil's advocate here for a minute, besides the "80%
access" rule -- which I think should be made 99% or even 100% because
80% is a cop out to the 80-20 rule -- and the "the cost of the capital
component that is equivalent to the cost of capital available to
private communications service providers in the same locality" --
which I think shouldn't have to be linked to the credit ratings of
commercial enterprise -- what's wrong with this bill*?  And why
shouldn't it be extended to cover other existing utilities?  It states
that the local run infrastructure should have to remit the same sorts
of fees and taxes that a private enterprise would have to in operating
the infrastructure to the local coffers.  And therefore the locally
provided "utility" can't use it's position of government to unfairly
compete with private enterprise.  How is this construed as "Time
Warner et al are trying to block municipally owned internet".  Which
items in particular are the "blocking" passages?

Joseph

* full text of the bill here:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2009/Bills/House/HTML/H1252v2.html
it only takes a few minutes to read.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM, mgmonza <mgmonza at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hadn't seen this mentioned yet.  Time Warner et al are trying to block
> municipally owned internet:
>
> http://www.techjournalsouth.com/news/article.html?item_id=7334
>

> H/T to an anonymous BBS poster.

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com