[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Fri May 1 11:54:34 EDT 2009

I think the 80% access rule is enough that the bill should be killed.

The cost of capital should not have to be local.  The private
communications service providers will shop for the best rates
including investors, so the city should also shop for the best rate.

The private communications service providers will piggyback their
service onto existing cable or phone systems.  To make the city
charge what it would cost to build a service from scratch would be wrong.

As a tax payer, if a city can provide a utility cheaper, I want the
city to do so.  That is true for water, sewer, trash and
Internet.  Some things private companies do better, some things the
government does better and a few like the Internet may depend on location.

I really should have treated this like BBQ posts.

-Charles Fischer