[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:54:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Michael Kimsal <mgkimsal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I see that as a problem.  Can TW honestly say that there's
> absolutely no spill over from any other part of the TW infrastructure that
> helps them roll out service in new areas?  There's certainly no income *from
> cable service* from town X coming in to TW when they decide to roll out
> service to town X.  They're using funds from other parts of their business
> to finance expansion, right?  I'm really not sure how this is much
> different, at all.  If anything, I don't really mind *my* property tax
> helping to fund high speed internet in *my* neighborhood.  It's much
> preferable (to me) to funding expansion of TW in to other cities which is
> paid for with *my* service fees to TW.

The big difference is that not everyone who pays those taxes wants or
needs the internet. So you also have to be OK with your neighbors, who
have no need for internet, paying for your internet. It's also a
matter of choice. If you choose to stop paying your TW bill, you get
no internet. If you choose to stop paying your property taxes, the
police come and take your house.

Paul