[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:09:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Paul McLanahan <pmclanahan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The big difference is that not everyone who pays those taxes wants or
> needs the internet. So you also have to be OK with your neighbors, who
> have no need for internet, paying for your internet. It's also a
> matter of choice. If you choose to stop paying your TW bill, you get
> no internet. If you choose to stop paying your property taxes, the
> police come and take your house.

This is a very short road to travel down when it comes to taxation.  Many
people pay taxes that receive no direct benefit from said taxes.  This is a
way of life in the US and other countries.  A prime example is DINK (dual
income, no kids) couples.  Portions of the tax revenue that they fund goes
to schools and they have no children.  I personally don't mind paying a
little extra in taxes for the "greater good."

--Reggie