[TriLUG] OT: Lightning protection (was DTV transition and new ATSC frequencies)

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Jun 15 10:00:53 EDT 2009

Being a Radio Amateur, lightning protection is a subject that can cause
hours of conversation
the the form of anecdotal information as well as discussions and debates
on how to implement
good lightning protection. Having been employed in the cellular industry
at one time I found a
great comprehensive source. Polyphaser Corporation at one time published
a book called
"Lightning and EMT Protection". It was also available in PDF form as well.

I dont see it on their site anymore but they have a section of technical
notes which will give you
more than you ever wanted to know about the subject of lightning protection.

http://www.polyphaser.com/technical_notes.aspx

YES, I use polyphasers surge suppressors on all my antennas. As well as
the other techniques
to ensure I have a good ground field. It doesnt MEG at 5 ohms but its
pretty close.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL