[TriLUG] Name server question

Steve Kuekes steve at kuekes.homeip.net
Thu Jul 2 11:19:17 EDT 2009

I want to host my own name server for my domain (for example
mydomain.com), and I have a question....

Network solutions is my domain provider and they want me to enter the
name of the name server that handles queries for my domain, instead of
using their name servers.

my name server is ns.mydomain.com

So if this server handles queries for mydomain.com, how do other sites
find ns.mydomain.com since its address is passed out from itself????  So
you can't have a system with a name in the same domain as it is serving?

I obviously don't understand something.
--
Steve Kuekes

Insight Racing - Urban Grand Challenge('07) - http://www.insightracing.org
Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional
(TTA)
email: skuekes at nc.rr.com