[TriLUG] web developer intern needed (Linux/Python/Django/some PHP)

Robby Dermody robbyd at castdot.com
Fri Jul 24 09:37:24 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

Our company, Castdot, has an immediate need for a web developer intern. We're a startup in Chapel Hill that is focused on enterprise-grade "mashup" technology, which allows businesses to make their existing technology better work together, and supplement it with capabilities to better serve their customers, such as:

* Dynamically-generated phone numbers that lead callers directly to content (without having to go through confusing phone menus)
* Massively scalable phone and web-based conference calls -- we're talking thousands of people at once here
* “Smart” fuzzy-logic-based tagging for automated sharing of content across an enterprise
* Notifications and reminders over text messages, email and the phone (via text to speech technology)

We work with neat things like multi-media phone, web and SMS (text messaging) technology blending, as well as an array of open source products (the same ones that power organizations such as Google, NASA, and Yahoo). The software we write spans everything from that which powers our cloud-based server platform to apps for mobile devices like the iPhone and Palm Pre. You know, fun stuff. We are a funded company and our software is in use at several large organizations within the US.

We need a dedicated web-development person and are prepared to make an interesting offer. Basically, over here we work we do our web work mostly with Python and Django-based web technologies. Besides being some of the most clean and enjoyable technology to work with, people that know this stuff very well and have professional experience with it can easily demand into the upper range of web developer salaries.

What we'd like to do is take someone who isn't necessarily a Python/Django developer, train them up, and in 4 months either offer them a full-time salaried position with us with benefits, or help them get placed into a similar salaried position with someone else by providing references and referrals, along with the potential assistance of a professional recruiter we work with. We won't string you along -- at the end of 4 months it will be one or the other.

The hourly rate would be $14 - $20 and depends on experience. The position has the following requirements:

*  That you're smart and can get things done: This is by far the number one requirement. You must be whip smart, largely self-directed, and be able to very quickly learn new things and put them to use. You must also thrive in environments where you're constantly being challenged and placed in situations that are outside of your comfort zone. We will have you "drinking from the firehose" so to say, and you will learn a ton, but it won't be easy. If you're not sure that you'd enjoy this, please don't apply to this position

*  2+ years of web development experience of some sort: This can be with languages such as php, Ruby, ASP.NET, etc . This experience does not need to be professional. You can be someone fresh out of college, for instance, that's done this stuff for that period in your spare time or for small-time gigs. Any experience with developing for open source products is a big plus here, as well as using Wordpress and/or ExpressionEngine, as we one of these for the 10% of things that aren't Django

*  A good deal of CSS, HTML, SQL and Javascript experience is required. Coding the pages is not enough, you must be able to design attractive, functional page layouts

*  Some prior experience working in Photoshop, the Gimp, or similar is necessary

*  Experience using Linux is a plus -- we're largely an Ubuntu Linux shop over here

*  Any experience writing mobile apps for the iPhone, Android and the Palm Pre (which is doubtful since it's still so new) is a big plus

*  Any experience with Scrum and being a member of a scrum team would be nice

*  You must be able to commit at least 25 hours a week to this job

*  You must also be located in or near Chapel Hill and be able to work in the office for at least 3 out of 5 days

Please check our site out at www.castdot.com and learn about our business before you send us anything. Resumes can be emailed to me, or to jobs at castdot.com. In the email, please include a short description of why you would be good with the job. (If you just chuck us a resume without this description, we will not look at it.) If you have a portfolio of sites you've worked on or something you can show, that would be a big plus as well.

If this posting doesn't suit you, but you know of someone that may be interested, please forward it along to them. :)

Thanks,

Robby