[TriLUG] perl: how to initialise a variable that I want to be NULL

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 16 21:14:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, William Sutton wrote:

> If you're taking user input and passing it straight
> through to the database, that's dangerous.

ah yes, little Bobby Tables

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

> I suggest reading up on placeholders and validating user
> input.

good idea and timely warning. I've been up to my neck in
figuring out the calls to the database (it's Z3950, not sql)
and had forgotten about all of this. AFAIK the server is
hardened against tainted strings. I asked about it early in
the project, but never got an answer. I'll ask again.

Joe