[TriLUG] Ubuntu and KVM

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Aug 19 11:15:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:35:46PM -0400, Jason Herr wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I was able to get the console through the virtual machine manager gui.
> The console command did not work for me either.  It hung and has been
> sitting there for some time.

Thank you Jason.  That confirms what I was seeing.  ( mine doesn't hang,
just refuses to work )

I guess my issue with something like VNC is that I am administering this
machine across the continent, so would like it to be as close to CLI as
possible.

Next question.

When I was working on setting up disk space in Xen, I found that it was
( next to ) impossible to use LVM partitions for each of the components
in the child ( DomU ) filesystem.  The installation seemed to be working
on the "one drive" model, which I certainly do not subscribe to for
"real" machines.

I seem to be seeing a very similar situation with KVM and LibVirt.  It
says that you can define a partition table for your drive, but the
documentation is really not clear on going past that.

The documentation has some spots of clarity and light, but other spots
are very muddy and even missing.

Thanks,
Brian