[TriLUG] Initramfs

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Sep 1 22:48:58 EDT 2009

Folks,

I recently installed a machine from scratch ( bare drives, used LVM ),
but didn't choose "Desktop" or "Web Server" or any of the "pre-defined"
packages, but just let it install the minimum defaults.

When I boot the machine, ( and I have tried the installation a couple of
times ) I get it stalling in the middle of the boot process at an
"(initramfs)" prompt, where I need to "lvm vgscan" followed by "lvm
vgchange -a y" before it will successfully complete the boot.

I have tried the "update-initramfs" command a few times, with various
parameters, and have even tried playing with the scripts, but the result
of that was an unbootable machine.

How and where can I "fix" this, and why didn't the Debian installer get
it right in the first place?

Thanks,
Brian