[TriLUG] Apt-Get Help!

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Sep 1 22:42:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:22:09PM -0400, Jason Herr wrote:
> Where'd you end up with this?  I used the desktop for the client, so I
> never ran into this I guess.

Thank you for the reminder, Jason.  I have been meaning to pass on my
results after I was more confident.

We just went live with six or seven ( I forget how many ) of the virtual
machines this morning.

I wound up, I don't remember whether I read something or just decided to
try it, using the Debian "net-install" ISO image to build each of the
virtual machines.  It took a LOT longer than the Ubuntu method, but it
works!  I have been running several of them for almost a week now, with
none of the issues that we have been encountering in the Ubuntu VMs. ( I
kept one of them as a control.  It still doesn't work. )

On my own machine ( new to me ), a Sun V20z, 1U dual Opteron machine, I
discovered that the magic code in the CPU that allows "hardware"
virtualization, was missing, so I went back to my old knowledge and
installed, also using the Debian net-install disk, Xen, with very little
trouble.

I have a question about that machine, but will ask it in a different
message.

Thanks again for your help,
Brian