[TriLUG] Unix Admin position available!

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Sep 25 14:38:34 EDT 2009

Speaking from experience on both sides, sometimes it is the applicant (I
once had someone tell me he use Red Hat Solaris), sometimes the HR person
processing résumés (lots of .NET and fresh-out-of-college with Java folks
for a Perl job), sometimes the recruiter (had a recruiter push me as being
a "senior Linux admin" even though I'm a Perl programmer), sometimes the
manager (here, take this test with these other two "applicants", oh, wait,
they're actually current employees designed to distract you).

One place I interviewed in the RTP for a Linux admin position, the owner
of the company showed up several hours late to my interview because they
were celebrating the company's yearly anniversary at lunch and "forgot"
about my interview.  I won't name names because he's posted to the list in
the past looking to hire but...it didn't rate high on the professionalism
meter.

Another place I interviewed, the CTO said, "here are the responsibilities,
how much do you want?" and a week later I was hired.

>From long experience interviewing, you have to treat it as an old
fashioned marketplace where you size each other up and haggle about the
price.  Maybe things work out, even from what looks like a potentially bad
interview experience, maybe they don't.  Figure out what you want, what
the other party has to offer, come to a reasonable agreement if you like
it.  If you don't, move on to the next opportunity.

William Sutton