[TriLUG] interoperability: 802.11g and n

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Oct 1 12:08:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Greg Brown wrote:

> No.  Well, none that I have tested.  I've used the scope
> on 802.11n (just a couple devices mind you) and once
> configured for either 5 ghz or 2.4 ghz they use only one
> of those bands, not both nor do they flip back and forth.
> So if you wanted 802.11n with full backwards compatibility
> with 802.11a and b/g you would have to have two radios,
> one in each band.

thanks.

I need something to get packets back from several g-only
sites (with regular dd-wrt wrt54g waps) to the internet
connection, so was thinking of connecting an n router by
ethernet cable to the wrt54g and having the n routers
connect via high gain antennas to another n router at the
site of the internet connection.

I notice the wrt54g-TM does n routing (at least with
dd-wrt). I assume it's a 2.45GHz box?

Joe