[TriLUG] pxe thin client

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Nov 17 13:58:34 EST 2009

At 1:49pm -0500 Tue, 17 Nov 2009, William Sutton wrote:
> Even after removing floppy/CD/DVD/etc drives, and putting superglue in
> the USB and firewire ports? :-)

Yep.  I can.  I'm not saying it'll be easy (and you've clearly thrown
down the gauntlet!), but given physical access, anyone with the proper
knowledge has complete control.  End of discussion.  And, with tools
available to all of us.

"The most secure [computer] system is one without any storage device
[HDD, CD drive], output device [monitor], input device [keyboard,
mouse], network connection [LAN], battery, or power cords."

I've forgotten who said that -- and am thus paraphrasing -- but it does
make a good point.  100% secure = 100% useless.  It's *always* a trade off.

Kevin