[TriLUG] pxe thin client

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Nov 17 14:12:27 EST 2009

At 1:58pm -0500 Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Clay Stuckey wrote:
> If anyone has suggestions for tools they have used in the past
> to provide thin client connectivity to a linux desktop, I would
> welcome any suggetions.

DHCP Server.  dnsmasq, isc-dhcpd, [your choice].  Needs to support
    next-server option.

TFTP Server.  tftp-hpa.  Often the same as the DHCP server.  Serves
    out the kernel to the booting systems

--- optional and variable ---
NFS Share.  Often the same as the DHCP Server.  exports a root file
    system, and otherwise lets the system finish booting.  (Getting
    the kernel is just one part of the boot process.)

Bandwidth, RAM, and CPU.

Kevin