[TriLUG] Online Cloud Offsite Backup

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Tue Dec 22 06:39:15 EST 2009

Steve Litt wrote:
> On Monday 21 December 2009 22:35:45 Keith Woodie wrote:
>
>> Is there anybody using an online "rsync" or other type of backup at home?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Just one man's opinion -- I wouldn't be caught dead outsourcing backup. What
> if they crash? What if someone breaks in and steals your valuable and secret
> data?
>
> I use rsync backup at home, but it's on a LAN, not over the net:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200609/200609.htm

Sure, but what if your house burns down? When it comes to data, I like
the belt and suspenders approach -- use both.

Privacy is a concern. I saw that tarsnap.com thing -- I like it -- nice
and private. My real question is regarding the size and reliability of
the hardware backing his datastore.

With rsync.net, the judicious use of encfs --reverse can help alleviate
privacy/secrecy concerns.

--bak