[TriLUG] DNS/DHCP Server revisited

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jan 15 17:38:43 EST 2010

Thanks for posting that link, John.  I saw this thread this morning
and made a mental note to come back and comment, but you've mostly
saved me the trouble.  The last time Roy brought this topic up I put a
good bit of effort into scratching the surface of documenting what is
necessary to do this with "the big boy tools", ie. ISC's BIND and
DHCPD.  Hitting that link, and read the associated thread should be
informative.

I'll be the first one to agree that there can be a steep learning
curve with these tools (I haven't ever used dnsmasq, so I can't
directly compare to that), but I can directly attribute my livelihood
these days to the chain of events started by taking the time to learn
those tools, and learn them well, many years ago.  The nice thing
about learning ISC's BIND (and to a lesser extent their DHCPD) is that
because of the way they work, if you make a point to learn what each
of the bits going into the config files are for, you end up with a
pretty good understanding of how the protocols work over the wire, and
at least one part of the glue that holds the Internet together starts
to make a lot more sense.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - Yes, I know that I'm unusual in that I find how the plumbing of
the Internet works to be fascinating, and like to do the digital
equivalent of digging up the water main to my house to replace it w/ a
copper one not because it'll work any better, but because sweating the
joints on a large copper pipe is fun.  If that's not you, please stick
w/ dnsmasq.  :)