[TriLUG] PoE cameras (for security) and software to record them

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Wed Feb 17 13:44:34 EST 2010

I use the Axis line.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of David McDowell
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:27 PM
To: TriLUG
Subject: [TriLUG] PoE cameras (for security) and software to record them

Hi folks.  I know I'm looking for the opinions of Greg Brown on this
one.  I
believe he may be our resident expert, however I'm open to the thoughts
from
all.  I have acquired some power over ethernet injectors and thought I
could
use them to put up some video cameras for fun, like aimed at my front
door,
back door, etc.  I also figured there's no point to that without
software to
display/capture the video and log it.

Any suggestions out there for the hardware and software?  I would prefer
the
software be open source, linux based and hopefully easy to use, but I'll
take options for open source on win, lin or mac.

thanks,
David