[TriLUG] Thoughts on SELinux - PIA or a good thing?

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:01:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

Generally speaking we  keep SELinux enabled (Centos 5.3) on our public
facing servers as I think it does provide that 2nd level of defense
against say a 0day in Apache httpd, without getting in the way of day
to day operations too much.  That being said if something isn't
working it does add that extra step of 'try it with SELinux off' to
troubleshooting, and I have had to create some custom policies to
handle some of our less standard bits of configuration - which isn't
actually all that hard to do.

David.