[TriLUG] google to offer FttH?

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Mon Mar 22 14:59:11 EDT 2010

A wee bit out of the loop, yes:

<http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/6446138/article-Durham-hopes-to-Google-own-‘Fiber’-trial?instance=homesixthleft>
<http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:412519>

As for concerns... that's what the FTC and antitrust suits are for,
right? Cross that bridge if/when we get there. For now I'm excited
that their move might spur municipalities and competitors to rethink
fiber rollouts. I gather that a big part of their pilot is going to be
documenting how they did the rollout more cheaply than experts said it
could be done:

"Google says the experimental network will have three goals: fostering
the development of next-generation applications, testing new ways of
deploying fiber networks and providing an open access network, thereby
giving users the choice of multiple service providers."

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
ibiblio.org systems