[TriLUG] wifi access to network with no SSID

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Mar 24 13:13:10 EDT 2010

I'm at a site with lots of open waps with no SSID (the other
waps are all encrypted) as seen by `iwlist scan`. Either
they have SSID="" or they aren't broadcasting their SSID. I
thought that "ANY" (or "") would work for these SSIDs
(wpa_supplicant) but I can't get it to work.

(I'm using someone's wired port for the moment to get out).

I'm not using network manager.

Any idea how to connect to a wap not showing an SSID?

Thanks Joe