[TriLUG] lvm2/lvm2-cluster conflict (can I replace an RPM inline?)

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Fri Mar 26 10:00:50 EDT 2010

I'm adding cLVM to a test cluster, both nodes are running RHEL 5.3.
When I try to install lvm2-cluster (with yum install), I get the
following error:

lvm2-2.02.46-8.el5_4.2.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
   --> lvm2 conflicts with lvm2-cluster
Error: lvm2 conflicts with lvm2-cluster
  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
  You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                         package-cleanup --dupes
                         rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

After digging a bit, I've come to realize that the conflict is indeed
valid, LVM2 and "LVM2-with-clustering" come from the same source code,
just compiled with different options (as such the RPMs both provide
'lvm2' to other packages, which is what I think is causing the conflict)

Uninstalling "regular" lvm2 with yum wants to uninstall a bunch of
other stuff. What should I do?

Is there some way to replace the "regular" lvm2 without uninstalling
all the packages that depend on it?

My RPM/RHN/yum skills are a bit rusty, am I missing something?

Thanks!
JJ