[TriLUG] problems with Core i3 or intel gfx?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Mar 28 23:49:48 EDT 2010

At 8:56pm -0400 Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Brian Phelps wrote:
> Sorry if this advice is below your skill level, not trying
> to in but some things I usually check here:

No worries.  Even Michael Jordan could miss easy shots.

> Are there two graphics cards, one on board one agp/pci?

Nope.  Just the integrated Intel graphics.

> Will it come up in text only mode?

Unfortunately, I did not have time to try all the tricks up my sleeve,
but I was able to boot it successfully to text-only mode immediately.
My next troubleshooting task will be to try the RescueCD or Knoppix distros.

> If you hit ctrl-alt-f1 do yo get a login screen?

It never gets that far.

> I have also seen bleeding edge hardware not be supported by
> the kernel.

This is my not-yet-confirmed theory, and if after some more work I'm
convinced that it is correct, my father has already offered his brand
spankin' new machine to any interested dev to change that fact.  Would
there be anybody interested, were this the case?

> I used debootstrap to make my own USB Linux disk and then
> installed grub on it.  Once you debootstrap try compiling the
> latest kernel and using that one instead.

This is not a bad idea.  Not a bad idea at all.  That will be round two.

Thanks much for the ideas!

Kevin