[TriLUG] VNC/SSH Tunneling speed - Solved

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Apr 30 13:02:44 EDT 2010

Thanks for the advice guys. FreeNX is working well.

I'm using FreeNX from http://freenx.berlios.de/ on CentOS 5.4 (yum
install freenx) and the Mac client from www.nomachine.org

One note for those looking at this solution: The docs are very unclear
on the key exchange. Unlike some products, you have to manually copy
over the client.id key from you server and import into your client,
there is no exchange in my limited experience.

Only use *1* authentication mode.  I also only used the SSH
authentication as it was the simplest.

On my CentOS box:
- Enabled SSH authentication in /etc/nx/server/node.conf to
"ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION="1" and remark out all other Authentication
schemas.

On my client:
- 'I had to scp root at server:/etc/nxserver/client.id_pub.key .'
- Import into the session in my NXClient configuration

Hope this helps someone. :)

-Roy

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net