[TriLUG] Upgrade of Desktop

Matt matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon May 17 14:03:16 EDT 2010

I have a situation and could really use a few suggestions with that I am
hoping someone has some good ones for.  At work, we have an older
desktop PC that we use as a Linux server in one of our labs and I am the
one who maintains it.   The PC has a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 on it that is
running under an LVM.  I also think it was formatted as an EXT-2.  For
some reason, using the LVM was the only way I was able to get the
distribution to install.

The IT department ordered and delivered a brand new PC to replace it
with and has given me the PC.  I am looking for suggestions for the best
way to transfer the old system to the new system.  It would be
preferable on the new system if I could use a more advanced file system
such as EXT-4 for better performance.  For this reason, I would like to
try and avoid just using DD and imaging the hard drive.  At the same
time, I don't want to do a clean distribution install because we have
development environments and tools that a lot of effort has gone into.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best method to copy the old
system over, but upgrade the file system in the process?