[TriLUG] Apache/Passenger/PHP weirdness

Thomas Ingram thomas at ravinggenius.com
Wed May 19 10:08:18 EDT 2010

I am trying to run a Rails application and a WordPress blog on the
same virtual host, accessible via separate URLs. Rails' URL is
app.example.com and the blog should have example.com (www.example.com
redirects to example.com). The Rails app is running just fine. The
blog however keeps giving permission denied error messages whenever I
try to access PHP. Non-PHP resources seem to be okay, so when I
created a dummy text file in the web root directory, it came up in my
browser just fine. Renaming the text file to have a PHP extension gave
me the same permission denied error. Granting 777 permissions to the
file didn't help. I have also tried changing the owner of the entire
web root recursively to root, nobody and a couple other users that
looked hopeful. I have changed the group to www-data. I can view
WordPress's readme.html just fine, but PHP files continue to generate
a 403.

Searching the Internet for hasn't turned up anything useful. I went
through the error log, and searched for '.php', but nothing was found.
The access logs showed that PHP files were requested and given a 403,
but nothing useful.

Short of setting up two separate VPSs, what can I do?

Side note: Looking through the logs illuminated another issue. It
seems that monit (a site health monitoring program for Rails running
on the server) has been trying to access
'/fitter_happier/site_and_database_check' once every second for
several days now. Of course this returns a 404 error, as WordPress is
not a Rails application. I don't think this is related to the PHP
issue, but I thought I would mention it. It is making the log files
harder to read; access and error both have over 6300 entries and
nearly all of them are there because of monit requests.

--
Thomas Ingram ><>
Raving Genius™ - foaming at the brain™
thomas at ravinggenius.com