[TriLUG] OT: Seeking other CORAID users

Dave Hostetler hostetler.david at gmail.com
Wed May 19 11:46:39 EDT 2010

"Can you provide details as to scalability (max storage size, access times, etc.) as well as the types of files you were storing/retrieving? "

So as far as scalability goes, according to Coraid's documents at the time you could run 65,535 shelves on the same system.  I used LVM to allow me to add in each shelf as it was purchased, then using XFS as the filesystem I just needed to "grow" the xfs to the new volume size.  This theoretically allowed me to create a 8EB volume ( with a 64-bit system ).  Last I check with them they had grown the system from the original 12TB of usable space to over 50TB of usable space.  I'm not completely sure on access times as this was basically just a giant store and didn't really have much access other than putting the files in place.  The file types where medical images, ranging from about 15MB to 45MB in size.  If you like you can email me off topic and I can send you a document that I wrote up for them to expand the storage after I left.  It should shed more detail than what I added here.

Dave Hostetler
M: 919.333.0591
hostetler.david at gmail.com