[TriLUG] m0n0wall hardware

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Fri May 28 14:19:01 EDT 2010

Curious, why not just by an off-the-shelf linksys/d-link/etc firewall from a local store and use that?  You can probably spend <$75 for a decent firewall box at a local retailer...

If you want to use M00nwall and definitely want an ITX-style system, you can order a decent ITX box from mini-itx.com or mini-box.com.  The Minibox 350 is a decent box for SOHO environments:

http://www.mini-box.com/Mini-ITX-systems-x86
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.87/.f
http://www.mini-box.com/Atom

For what its worth, I use pfSense (M00nwall alternative) every chance I get.  It is a great firewall that runs on just about any x86 hardware.  I think it was based on M00nwall and now has tons of features.    Many people have deployed it on lots of different hardware (even the "guru-plug" I think).  I have 5 pfSense firewall boxes in our Raleigh Data Center - they work great and we never have problems.   http://www.pfsense.org

Hope this helps...

-Ron