[TriLUG] Ubuntu X11 Configuration

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Jun 10 12:26:50 EDT 2010

Obviously I am out of date with the new ways of handling X.

I have been having this problem for quite a while, ever since I installed Debian 5, and still, now that I have switched to Ubuntu 10.04.

I have a 19 inch CRT monitor that should be able to do ( has in the past done ) at least 1280 x 1024.  However, in Debian and Ubuntu, it offers at most 1024x768, showing "Unknown Monitor."  I have looked in all of the places where I used to edit X11 configuration files, and nothing.  I know that "the computer knows best," but I would really like to make better use of my machine.

Can anybody offer me guidance, please?

Thanks,
Brian