[TriLUG] Linux version recommendations for OLD laptop...

Joel James Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Mon Jul 19 09:30:03 EDT 2010

Dave Cowan <davecowan at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hey Luggers,
>
> I have an old Dell Latitude CPt S (yeaah, I know, don't laugh). It has
> an 500 MHz Intel Celeron processor with 256 MB of ram. I was able to
> successfully install Windows XP SP3 but I'd like to try a version of
> Linux on it.

I use the Fedora LXDE respin[1] on a Thinkpad 240.  I don't think my
machine is quite as strapped for resources as yours, though.  You might
want to try the Moblin respin[2], though it might get quite confused
without a wireless card (does it have one?).

You may want to custom-compile a recent kernel to see if you can
activate any older features that are now non-standard.

I always remember XP being slow as liquid nitrogen in January at the
South Pole on any machine I've ever used it on, so I can't recommend it
over Fedora or Ubuntu ;)

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/