[TriLUG] SATA/BIOS problem with Linux

Derek Linz chapelhilllaptopshop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:24:56 EDT 2010

If you're using Fedora, pass "rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM  rd_NO_LUKS
rd_NO_LVM" to the kernel to stop the array from failing to assemble
during boot/install, if that's what the issue is. It may still end up
being a headache getting it assembled properly at all, if you're
trying to preserve the data. On the other hand, in my experience If
the software raid is created by the Fedora installer, the bios will
recognize it properly after you reboot.

Once you're booted,try "dmraid -a y" or "mdadm --assemble --
scan". I think what causes the breakage is actually a fight for control
between mdraid and dmraid, leaving neither of them satisified.
Sometimes using either dmsetup or mdadm  to completely
stop/forget about all the disks will then let you assemble the array
properly.

I think that's the problem that you're describing, in any case I hope
it helps.

-Derek Linz