[TriLUG] SATA/BIOS problem with Linux

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Jul 25 19:24:09 EDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Derek Linz wrote:

> If you're using Fedora, pass "rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM rd_NO_LUKS
> rd_NO_LVM" to the kernel to stop the array from failing to
> assemble during boot/install, if that's what the issue is.

I don't get the option of passing parameters to the kernel
on install from the LiveCD. However I'll keep it in mind
that I can do it in principle.

> On the other hand, in my experience If the software raid
> is created by the Fedora installer, the bios will
> recognize it properly after you reboot.

the software raid was created by the winxp install (or the
imaging process that created the hard disk). The sw raid is
being done by Intel's sw raid drivers (at least according to
some log file I saw)

> Once you're booted,try "dmraid -a y" or "mdadm --assemble --
> scan".

I guessed I had to do something like that.

If I take the disk out and stick it in another machine I can
see the partitions with fdisk, but not mount any of the
partitions. I assume the disk is not partitioned the right
way. Say I get the partitions off the sw raid machine
(onto another disk), is there any hope of partitioning
another disk on a second machine with fdisk and then dd'ing
the partitions onto it and having the partitions readable
etc on the 2nd machine? ie I assume the filesystem hasn't
been changed by the Intel sw raid, but the partitioning has.

Thanks Joe