[TriLUG] ODB2 bluetooth help needed

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Jul 29 13:38:36 EDT 2010

Hi,
I am trying to connect my Ubuntu laptop to the On Board Diagnostics in
my car using a $35 bluetooth adapter.  I have been following a nice
guide for doing this on an Andriod Phone [1].  From Ubuntu I can
detect the ODB2 bluetooth adapter, get the MAC address, and create a
serial device for it (/dev/rfcomm0).  When I run minicom I get
prompted for the blutooth PIN, and then minicom fails to open the
device.  I am not even sure if the pin number authentication
succeeds...

The device file /dev/rfcomm0 exists, and when minicom tried to open it
I see bluetooth traffic using hcidump.

Has anyone else done this or something similar ?

$ sudo -i
$ hcitool scan
 Scanning ...
	00:0D:18:B1:11:42	CBT

$ rfcomm  bind 0 00:0D:18:B1:11:42 1

$ minicom
 <prompted for password at this point - gui dialog box>
 minicom: cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: No such file or directory

( I have the corresponding hcidump output posted on Pastebin [2] )

[1] http://gtosoft.webs.com/comingsoon.htm
[2] http://pastebin.com/yKnB6mAB