[TriLUG] Red Hat, GNOME, and Canonical, oh my

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Jul 31 12:22:07 EDT 2010

matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> Brian (who's old enough to have fought these over Atari800 vs C64), you
> reminded me of those days and the wars between the C64 vs Atari and the
> C64 versus the AppleII versus the TRS-80.[...]
>
> I hope that these articles aren't foreshadowing of what will become of the
> Linux environment;  all of those products and all but one of the companies
> quickly fell into non-existance and left a void that took several years to
> fill.

I lived through the (painful) UNIX wars, from BSD vs. Sys-V to Unix
International vs. UNIX System Laboratories, all to the detriment of the
adoption UNIX in corporate, academic, small business and home user
environments.

What we don't want to see is bickering among the Linux community while
Microsoft plows the fertile market shares and Linux falling to a non-relevant
niche.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA