[TriLUG] question about ytalk

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:25:11 EDT 2010

On 08/20/2010 11:52 AM, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 9:13am -0400 Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Warren Myers wrote:
>> There are times when we want to talk about personal projects and
>> prefer the contents to not be captured in AIM/Gchat histories.
>
> Perhaps tangential to your specific request for ytalk, but I seem to
> recall someone touting Pidgin and the OTR (Off-the-Record) plugin for
> this or a similar use case.  I haven't yet had a need/desire to use it
> myself, so I don't know if OTR saves the conversation history.  To me,
> at least, the whole concept of OTR would imply not.
>
> Any OTR users have an insight to share?
>
> Kevin

OTR is awesome.  The only downside I've found is the lack of an iOS
client with support, but otherwise it does everything I want in a
privacy protocol and is supported by at least one client on every other
platform I've used.
Lack of OTR support has kept me from trying some new communications
frameworks like empathy though.