[TriLUG] OT: Sen. Hoyle admits he let Time Warner Cable write NC's ant-muni BBND Bill

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Thu Sep 2 11:17:01 EDT 2010

This is why I usually try to avoid political commentary; I blame a moment of irritation for my outburst...  I should clarify:

By "centralized government," I meant "one person or a small group of people exercising governing power over a larger group of people."  All points made subsequent to my comment are correct and I agree with them all -- it's a necessity in some form or another, it's a property of nearly all forms of government, and corruption[1], either individually or corporately, is a problem.  It's germane (thanks, Cristóbal, for giving me another opportunity to open a dictionary[2]!) because this is an example of the actions of one man (or the group to which he belongs, the NC state senate) having ramifications on the population at large (the people of Gaston County and the State of North Carolina).

By "this great nation's leadership" (which was a poor choice of words), I meant the structure of government in our nation as a whole on all levels, and not the Federal government specifically.

Anyway, Cristóbal's comments are valid and the links quite useful.  Thanks!

I will now respectfully dog-paddle my way back to the shallow end of the pool.

~B

[1] Let's also define "corruption" as any failure of a governing body to represent its constituents' majority concerns, in favor of its own agenda, regardless of motivation [with a rider for "common good," whatever that means].

[2] By "open a dictionary," I of course mean "type the word into Google."