[TriLUG] Compliments to David Zeuthen for Disk Utility

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Sep 16 02:28:23 EDT 2010

Google has done a lot of work on attempting to predict hard drive failure
rates.  Based on the published research, it's true that reallocation counts
do correlate with an increase in average failure rate of drives.  A quote
from the paper, "After their first reallocation, drives are over 14 times
more likely to fail within 60 days than drives without reallocation
counts...".  There are some other SMART signals that are interesting as
well, such as scan errors, offline reallocation counts, and probational
counts.  Unfortunately, part of the core conclusion is that "Despite this
high correlation, we conclude that models based on SMART parameters alone
are unlikely to be useful for predicting individual drive failures."  That
said, it's one component that should probably warrant closer scrutiny of
that disk and it's performance and behavior in the future.  For more details
and a really interesting read:

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html

Aaron S. Joyner